With the world becoming more globalized and the companies looking to transform their operations digitally, the need for a good IT infrastructure with new systems and applications along with processors are required.
There are a few schools of thought on the best way to how to transform the operations digitally. On the one hand, one can hire the full IT department and use it as an in-house IT Support, and on the other hand, the organization can outsource their services to a Managed Service Provider.
In this competitive world, where organizations need to manage their expenses and look for ways to maximize the revenues, one central question that arises is whether to hire an in-house team or to outsource the services to Managed Service Providers to get the work done?
There are various advantages and disadvantages to both in-house support as well as outsourcing the services.
In-house Managed IT Support
The question of what does In-House Managed IT Support is not a new one. Each organization looks for ways to save their costs by incorporating various departments in-house.
- With In-house Managed IT Support, it becomes effortless for the supervisors to monitor the performance.
- Availability of the support immediately as and when crises arise.
- The specialized team dedicated to working on the needs of the firm is very well informed of the goals and objectives of the company.
- When the stakes are high, some organizations will like to have full control over the operations. In such cases, the executives of the company prefer to have an in-house managed IT Support.
- The In-house managed IT Support helps in developing the deep-internal knowledge of the firm and the goals and objectives of the company.
- The employee overheads are predictable as there are no changes in the number of employees, and the firm knows exactly what the yearly salary would be.
- The In-house Managed IT Support is not feasible as it involves a lot of capital investment as lots of high personnel costs are associated with it.
- The organizations have various other departments as well. Thus, the fight for resources arises.
- When the systems are appropriately managed, and there is no downtime, paying extra to the employees when they sit idle, it is a loss. A much better way is to pay a small fixed amount to MSPs and hire the services as and when required, instead of committing to the full-time hiring.
- Also, one cannot hire people who specialize in every field. The personnel costs will shoot at the roof. Other than the costs, one person does not have knowledge of every department.
- Also, experience and knowledge become limited.
- When one is opting for an in-house IT Support Model, the reactive process may lead to overtime charges for after-hours emergencies.
- The in-house IT Support department may not be familiar with the latest technologies and updates.
Outsourcing Of IT Support
The model where the organization outsources the needs of the whole department to a specialized company is known as the Managed IT Support. The various benefits and risks for the managed services when you outsource should be evaluated and then worked upon. Some of the pros and cons are as follows:-
- The most significant advantage of hiring a managed service provider is that these companies specialize in the IT sector.
- Another benefit of hiring a managed Service provider is that you can expect 24×7 client support and monitoring, where the organization does not need to focus on the IT tasks. It can focus on core operations.
- Also, the costs and expenses can be saved on training and certifying the employees.
- When an organization hires MSP, the scope of the services also widens. The highly trained and specialized people know where to look for opportunities and how to expand the horizon of the company to gain a competitive advantage and be on the top of the market.
- With outsourcing, organizations are exposed to highly trained professionals, who have years of experience in the field.
- Also, as compared to the limited number of personnel when talking about the in-house IT model, the managed IT Support does not have scarce engineers.
- One of the most significant disadvantages of managed IT Support is that the engineers and professionals are not available on-site. This leads to longer response times, which is a massive drawback in problematic situations.
- If you want the full control over the operations of your firm, then a managed IT Support is not the best fit for you. When you outsource, you also provide MSPs with the decision making power. Thus, you lose control over the IT operations of your firm.
- Another drawback for Managed IT Services is that when working with MSPs, the company needs to have a proper cloud-based system. This means, along with all the network applications and systems, the network cabling should also be monitored. The connection between the cloud and the wiring should be strong to provide the best services.
- One of the most significant disadvantages of outsourcing your IT Needs to MSP is to find the perfect fit for the organization. This task is difficult as one has to look at every aspect and analyze the costs in accordance with the services received.
- The employees of the in-house departments are more familiar with the goals and objectives of the company and understand the ultimate goal and perspective in a better manner as compared to a person hired for a specific task.
The in-house IT Support or the managed IT Support can be tough to solve as both models have their pros and cons when it comes to which model to hire and which not. The best model can be chosen according to the needs and demands of the organization.
Another way to choose the best model to run your IT operations is to use the hybrid model. Using a combination of in-house, along with the outsourcing, lets you take advantage of both the models.
In conclusion, both the in-house IT Support and Managed IT Support have their pros and cons, and the organization has to choose which is the best suit for them according to the needs and demands of the business. Whichever model you want, make sure that the services which you get in return let you access the latest technology and expertise without wasting the resources.